If you've been around my blog for very long, you'll know I love a good furniture makeover. You'll find everything from dressers to tables in my home that have been upcycled and given a new life.
I've upcyled garage sale pieces....
....thrift shop pieces....
....and yes, even curb alert pieces!
This particular piece used in Charlotte's room was a Craigslist find.
I knew I was going to upcycle a dresser for the nursery and use it as a changing station. I found myself searching FB garage sale sites for weeks. I was wanting something specific and wasn't having much luck.In the past, when I would look for a furniture project to complete a certain room, I would search online daily and scout out my local Goodwill's several times a week on my way home from work. I'd often leave Goodwill empty-handed, but if I was patient enough, the right piece of furniture would stand out to me as if it was saying, "BUY ME! I'm here just for you!"
Now that I'm a SAHM to twin toddlers, there was no way I dragging them to Goodwill several times a week. My goodness, getting them in and out of the van is a task all in itself, let alone doing all of that work just to spend less than five minutes in thrift store!
I finally found something on Craigslist that I thought could work. With only a couple months before the baby was due, I arrange to pick it up as soon as I realized it met all of my requirements: perfect size, solid wood, plenty of storage, $50 or less and could fit in the back of my van.
The only thing I wasn't sure about was the fact that it had a cabinet door on it. It ended up being my favorite part when I finished with it. Once I decided to take off the door and display baskets for both cloth and disposable diapers, I was in love!
As soon as I found someone to help Matt carry it upstairs, I began the process of giving this beauty a facelift! I refinished this piece the way I refinish most pieces, with no sanding required……
1) I started by cleaning the dresser with TSP cleaner. It can be found at most hardware stores. I buy mine in a powder and mix it in a spray bottle.
2) Using a foam roller I primed the dresser with Zinsser Cover Stain primer. It took two coats to fully cover this piece of furniture. I keep this paint on hand for when I find furniture to refinish.
3) I chose the color "Jaipur pink" from Sherwin Williams. I've used Sherwin Williams paint on several pieces. I like that I can buy a sample of paint for a decent price, and it gives me more than enough paint for two coats on a piece of furniture.
4) I updated the hardware by spray-painting it white. Sometimes I replace the hardware, but for this dresser I liked the look of the original hardware and painting it white contrasted nicely with the pink.
5) Tip: Always take out the drawers when painting and let paint dry completely before applying a new coat. The primer and the sponge roller are key to getting a streak-free finish without needing to sand, so don't skip those steps.
6) Note: This method is only recommended for solid wood pieces. The paint will peel on laminate pieces.
I'm very happy with how this piece turned out! By adding a lamp, some baskets (found at Hobby Lobby), a changing pad (cover found on Amazon) and a few accessories, I had a beautiful dresser/changing table for a baby girl's nursery! An original piece, upcycled with love, I prefer this to an expensive bedroom set from a big-box store.





Find the best buy reception desk options for your office, hotel, or commercial space to create a professional and welcoming front area. Explore modern, stylish, and durable designs that suit different workspace needs and budgets. These desks offer smart storage and a clean, elegant look. Choose the perfect buy reception desk to upgrade your business environment.
ReplyDeleteWhen planning a nursery changing table from an upcycled dresser, choosing practical and useful resources is important. Rummy Noble APK can be mentioned as an online gaming resource for readers who are interested in finding a simple mobile gaming option alongside creative DIY ideas.
ReplyDelete