In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Greek Yogurt Biscuits



I've recently started to use a lot of Greek yogurt in my cooking, especially since I've started cooking for my toddlers.  Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, and I love to add it into things when I can.  Around a year ago, I tried this recipe for Greek yogurt biscuits, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I don't often make bread or biscuits, but when I do, this recipe has become my go-to recipe.

What makes these biscuits unique is that they don't really taste like a biscuit.  I guess I would describe them as a cross between a roll and biscuit, because they have more of the flavor of a roll, but the dense texture of a biscuit.  I find that I often make these instead of yeast rolls to go with home-style meals.  These are also really good when used for breakfast sandwiches. My personal favorite way to eat these biscuits is with a small amount of butter and honey!

INGREDIENTS:
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. plain Greek yogurt (I prefer nonfat)
1/2 reduced fat milk

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.  In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  With a wooden spoon, mix in 1/4 c. milk and the yogurt, just until incorporated. Place mixture on a lightly flour counter top and add the remaining 1/4 c. milk to the remaining pieces in the bowl, then add those pieces to the dough before kneading until dough is smooth.  This is a very sticky dough.  You may need to add a bit more flour as you work with it.  Using a flour rolling pin, roll the dough out to .5-1 inch thickness. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter, or something round like the top of a drinking glass. Place cut out biscuits one inch apart on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.  Best when served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment