In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese



When my boys were big enough to start eating table food, I decided to rethink how I make mac and cheese.  Trying to avoid the powdered cheese mixes you can buy in a box, I knew I could make something a little healthier that took just as much effort as the box stuff.   My effort to find a healthier mand cheese recipe led me to this recipe, found nearly a year ago, and I've been using it ever since!  Greek yogurt is of course packed with protein, but it also gives a creamy texture to this mac and cheese, while the garlic and onion powder add a nice flavor.  And of course, I throw in vegis when I can.  I really like spinach mixed in with this dish, but my boys prefer peas!

INGREDIENTS:
8 oz elbow pasta
1/2 c. Greek yogurt
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp.onion powder 
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. fresh spinach or frozen peas

DIRECTIONS:
Cook and drain pasta according to packaging, reserving half a cup of the pasta water, and place cooked pasta back in the pan on low heat.  In a bowl, mix garlic powder and onion powder with the Greek yogurt and then add to the pasta. Stir in reserved pasta water and shredded cheese until cheese melts and is well combined.  Add frozen peas or fresh chopped spinach, stirring until peas are warm or spinach has wilted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment