In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Friday, October 9, 2015

Pumpkin Roll



This pumpkin roll is one of my all-time favorite fall desserts.  I have been making this every autumn from the time I was fourteen years old.  Ok, I just did the math and realized that is more than half my life, which makes me feel really old!


If I remember correctly, this recipe was from a church cookbook.  The church I attended as a child put together a cookbook, filled with various recipes from members of the church, and gave the cookbooks out one year at a Mother Daughter Banquet.  One year ~ many many years ago ~ I was looking for something to make for Thanksgiving and decided to try this recipe out.  The rest is history.  I've been making it ever since.


I may be a little bias, but this is the best pumpkin roll recipe I have ever tasted!  It's not because I'm a good baker, it's because the recipe for the batter is moist with the perfect pumpkin spice flavor.  When that is combined with the rich cream cheese frosting, my taste buds do a happy dance!


I made this particular pumpkin roll pictured in this post for a ladies event at church, but I must confess....I din't have a piece of it!  As some of you know, I am challenging myself to Trim Healthy Mama, making sugar and flour big no-no's for me right now.  I'm sure I'll make a pumpkin roll again over the holidays, at which time, I will make an allowance for the occasional sugary treat.  Until then, I'll just enjoy making sweet treats for others and taking pictures of my work.  My waistline and blood sugar levels will thank me later for having the will-power to make that decision;)



INGREDIENTS:
Cake:
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. canned pumpkin
3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Icing:
8 oz. softened cream cheese
4 tbs. softened butter
1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Beat eggs on high for 3-5 minutes. Mix in sugar and pumpkin. Blend in remaining dry ingredients.  Once batter is mixed well. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 14 minutes.

While cake is baking, mix icing ingredients together with an electric mixer.  Make sure cake is completely cool before icing cake.  Once icing has been applied, roll the cake up, dust with powdered sugar and slice into one inch slices.

TIPS:
I usually line my cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil and spray it with a light coat of cooking spray.  This makes for easy cleanup, but it also make the cake come out of the pan easily, making it roll up easily.

Over the years, I've learned to double the icing recipe for a thicker, richer, sweet cream-cheesy center!  This is completely optional, but you've had one of my pumpkin rolls and asked me for the recipe, know that I ALWAYS double the icing recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment