In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's A Goodwill Good Deal ~ Ugly $10 Picture Turned Into Cute Memo Board

I needed something to go on this wall, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I was looking for a large mirror or a frame that I could do something crafty with.




I bought this hideous picture at Goodwill for $10.  Although it isn't very attractive now, the frame had great potential and was the perfect shape for a memo board project I wanted to create.

First, I had to take the canvas painting off the front of the picture.  Then, I took the frame and board apart.

  (Ignore Chloe.  She wouldn't move out of the way.  She is always so curious when I do a project.)

Next, I set the frame aside and covered the board with batting.

For the next step, I needed enough fabric to cover the board and plenty of flat thumb tacks.

I covered the board in fabric, pulled the fabric tight, and secured the fabric to the back of the board with thumb tacks.

This is what the front of the board looked like after the board was covered in fabric.  I got my fabric on sale, and spent about $3 for one yard of fabric.

Then, I secured ribbon to the front of the board with thumb tacks.  I used a coupon for the ribbon, and I spent a little over $1 after the coupon.

Lastly, I hot glued fabric brad tops to the flat thumb tacks on the front of the board.  I found these on sale in the scrapbooking section of JoAnn's.  I had to buy two packs, and I spent $4 for both packs.

The finished project :)

Notice something on the table......

...... I had leftover fabric from the memo board, so I attached some to the burlap runner on my table.


I really like the way the runner turned out....especially since I didn't plan to do it :)  The board and the runner cost less $20, and you know I love that!


12 comments:

  1. I love it.. I never thought of using a frame. Great Job Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job...I hit my Goodwill up yesterday and found some redo items as well! I'm not afraid to experiment on a find if I get it cheap...!
    Have a super day :) New follower..found you on Creation Corner link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the burlap runner! And everything else! Found you at coastal charm...of to see what else is on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...that is so pretty! I love the look of the ribbon! (We had a cat named Chloe too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I have seen a few memo boards done, but sometimes they aren't placed in the right spot. Yours is! Love the table too :) I may have to give memo boards a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a frame and I've been trying to figure out something to do with it. What a great idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job!
    Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see you again tomorrow! :)
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great transformation! Looks like the perfect spot for your frame.
    Visiting from serenity now and a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent redo!! Love your taste and how you make it your own style. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! Come on over to my blog and check it out!! TFS.

    ReplyDelete