In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Saturday, March 17, 2012

TP Tubes Turned Into Art


We've been working on turning one of the extra rooms upstair into a guest room. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this room for the simple reason that we are hoping to fill the upstairs rooms with little ones in the next few years;)  Taking that into consideration, I devised a plan to make an inexpensvie guest room: borrow a bed from Matt's sister that isn't currently being using, use bedding and curtains from our old room in our old house, spend no more than $50 on furniture and refurbish it, and then be really creative when creating inexpensive art and decor for the room. 


Today's post is about the last part of that plan, creating really inespensive art....and I mean really inexpensive;) Believe it or not this art was made from recycled toilet paper tubes! I've seen a lot of people do their own twist on toilet paper art, and I LOVED the idea! When I saw the idea, I thought it would be perfect for when we set up the guest room. After collecting toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes for several months, I was ready to begin this project. Here's how I made TP tubes art.....

Cut each tube into six pieces.

Using hot glue, glue the ends of two pieces and pinch them together like this…..

….until you have glued four pieces together to form a flower like this.

Glue the corners of the flowers together to form rows.

I made 5 rows across and 7 rows down.

Once the entire piece is secured with glue, spray paint it using a primer or a paint that will stick to all surfaces, even plastic. 

For some reason, basic $1 spray paint didn’t stick to the tubes, so I had to buy $5 primer to do the trick.


The end result turned out to be a beautiful piece of art for our guestroom wall.  To hang it to the wall, I found that small nails worked well.  I actually made two identical pieces to flank each side of the window, and I have to say that it doesn't look too bad consdiring how inexpensive this project was. The best part is that no one will ever know recycled toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes were used to create it....unless they read this post, of course:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment