In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Friday, June 12, 2015

Delicious Detox Soup


I'm kind of late getting to my blog tonight.  It's been a busy day filled with morning garage sales, afternoon lunch and shopping with Grandma, and evening first haircuts for our boys, but I wanted to get a quick blog post up before I went to bed.

So here is my quick blog post, and it's a good one!  Or I guess I should say, it's a yummy one!  Yesterday, I posted about the detox water I've been drinking.  Tonight, I want to post a delicious detox soup recipe I've been using the past couple of weeks.

As I've  mentioned before, I eat pretty healthy.  I often eat salads or wraps for lunch.  While on Pinterest one recent afternoon, I discovered several detox soup recipes that looked pretty yummy.  The one I'm sharing today looked like an appealing summertime soup.  I made a few adjustments to it, and I am pretty much in love with this soup. While this could strictly be a soup for detoxing, as in eat only this for several days, I have enjoyed it for my lunch the past couple of weeks.  

The first time I made it, I made a regular batch for dinner on a Monday.  It was definitely a hit in my home!  My husband loved it and ate huge soup bowl portions of it for several days.  This soup keeps in the fridge for a few days, so I really enjoyed being able to grab a quick and healthy reheated bowl of soup for my weekday lunches. My twin toddlers also enjoyed having some of the soft vegis to go with their usual lunch, almond butter and honey sandwiches served with banana and vegi straws. 

I enjoyed this soup so much that I decided to make a smaller batch for my lunches the following week.  I divided the recipe in half, but still used one whole zucchini, yellow squash and sweet potato, since those three ingredients are my boys' favorite parts of the soup.  This allows me to have a bowl of soup for lunch M-Th, while also having a few extra bowls of soup left over for my husband to eat on when he's wanting something extra to eat late at night.

This soup is definitely a keeper for my family!  I'll be making another small batch next week.  It tastes great, and it's good for you!  Can't go wrong with that!

Ingredients:
1 stalk of kale
3-4 celery stalks
3-4 carrots or one small bag of baby carrots
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 pealed sweet potato
1 red pepper
1 onion
4-6 cloves of garlic or 1-2 tbs of minced garlic
a handful of cilantro, about 1/2 cup
several sprigs of fresh thyme, about 2-3 tsp
2 cans of cannellini beans (drained)
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste



This recipe could not be any easier!  Chop the ingredients....


Throw everything except the kale in the crock pot for 4-6 hours or until the vegetables are tender......  


Then ladle yourself a bowl of deliciousness before stirring in chopped kale while the soup is piping hot.  Eat with a simple delicious green salad and enjoy!  



Of course you can eat it with whatever you want or by itself, but I've been enjoying my soup with a salad everyday.






No comments:

Post a Comment