In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My Version of a Skinny Strawberry Frappuccino





Good morning!  After sharing two different smoothies on the blog yesterday, I decided that this week I am going to share all sorts of refreshing summertime treats that are easy on the waistline....not to mention easy on the wallet, since making your own is way cheaper than buying one from a coffee shop or smoothie bar!

The past few weeks, I have been treating myself to my own version of a skinny mocha frappuccino, as an afternoon pick-me-up and sweet treat to myself during my boys' nap time!  Since, I still have several strawberries to use up from our weekend trip to the strawberry patch, I decided to try my own version of skinny strawberry frappuccino this morning.  

Without the fat free whip cream topping this drink comes in around 100 calories and 2 grams of fat per serving.  Of course, I like a good amount of fat free whipped topping, which only has 5 calories for every two tablespoons.  Since I like a good amount, I know I put more than one serving on top of my drink, Haha!  Those extra calories help make the drink for me.  I like to stir in the whip cream for additional frothiness.  But you should also know that there is 1 gram of sugar in each serving of the fat free Reddi-wip!  For this reason, I think I am going to buy the fat free sugar free Cool Whip to keep in my fridge, instead of the Reddi-wip from now on! 

I'm not going to sit and lie to you.  This drink is not as good as a Starbucks strawberries and creme frappuccino.  Switch out the coconut milk for whole milk and add real sugar instead of stevia, and I bet you'd have something pretty close to the real deal!  My focus was on keeping this drink low calorie and sugar free.  And as much as I tried, it doesn't taste exactly like a skinny strawberries and creme frappuccino either.  Starbucks uses a strawberry base that I can not mimic from my home kitchen, however, my ingredients are definitely healthier than what a baristas uses in a chain coffee shop.  For a low calorie drink, this is pretty good.  It was definitely a refreshing drink to have during my blog time this morning, with just the right amount of sweetness.  

Of course this drink is flexible, as far as the ingredients go.  Almond milk or any kind of milk could be used instead of coconut milk, and sweeteners could be substituted as well.  I used what I had in my kitchen, and I was pretty pleased with the results. Next time you're craving an expensive frappuccino, why don't you give making your own a try!



Ingredients:

1/2 c. frozen strawberries (35 calories)
1/2 c. fresh strawberries (35 calories)
1/2 c. ice
3/4 c. unsweetened coconut milk (35 calories, 2 g. fat)
1/2 -1 tsp. stevia in the raw, depending on taste
1-2 tsp. vanilla extract, depending on taste
fat free whip cream (optional)

Directions:

Liquefy in a blender or nutribullet.  Top with whip cream if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment