In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Rice and Bean Muffin Cups { toddler approved! }



This morning, I shared the egg muffins I feed my toddlers using eggs and leftover pizza toppings, like spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes.  This evening, I want to share the rice and bean muffin cups my toddlers enjoy on our taco nights.

We have tacos at least once a week in our home.  Hard, soft or as a salad, we love tacos!  I love tacos, because they are quick and easy to make and are generally healthy....or at least they can be healthy if you want them to be.  What's not to love about ground turkey meat in a whole wheat wrap, topped with lettuce, tomato, black beans, corn, avocado and sour cream?  


When we have tacos, I feed my boys all of the chopped up toppings for tacos, but they have a hard time chewing tortillas.  To make sure they are getting a healthy grain with the meal, I make them rice and bean muffin cups.


INGREDIENTS:
1 c. cooked brown rice
1/2 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. black beans
1/2 c. shredded cheese
2 eggs


DIRECTIONS:
Mix all ingredients together and press into a greased muffin pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.  Yields 8 muffins.


NOTE:   I am partial to the 90 second microwave rice, simply for convenience.  I personally like this southwestern quinoa and brown rice mixture from Target.  Plain brown rice will work for this recipe, but you may want to add a little salt and cumin to the mixture.





No comments:

Post a Comment