In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

DIY Ribbon/Paper Mobile and Tissue Paper Pom-Poms

We are nearing the end of this series on Baby Girl's nursery.  Today, I want to share with you two easy DIY projects I made to hang in this space.  Tissue paper pom-poms and a ribbon/paper mobile were two of the easiest projects I made for her room.
Tissue paper pom-poms are very easy to make.  I've made them for all sorts of festivities.  Anyone can find numerous step by step tutorials of how to make them online.  I'm going to talk ~ or in this case, type ~ my way through of how I made these two pom-poms, but if you need something more visual, here is any easy tutorial with step-by-step pictures.  Nonetheless, here's how I made mine to hang in the nursery.

1)  Buy supplies.  I bought a pack of gold tissue paper and a pack of gold polka dotted tissue paper while I was at Hobby Lobby

2)  Fold several pieces of tissue paper (I used the entire pack) long ways like an accordian, making each fold about an inch.

3) Take the long bunch of accordion-folded tissue paper and fold it in half, as if you were folding a book or a card.

4)  Secure the fold using floral wire or a large paper clip.

5) Using scissors, trim the ends of the folded tissue paper into "v" or "u" shapes.  I used a "u" shape to give my puffs a rounded look.

6) Begin to fan out the tissue paper to make a ball.  Puff or scrunch the paper with your hands as needed.

7)  Attach a piece of fishing line or clear string to the floral wire or paper clip and hang from the ceiling.
This mobile is a somewhat primitive construction!  I've seen a few DIY mobiles using these wooden hoops on Pinterest, so I thought I'd give it a try.  It's not fancy, but I think it works in this room.  Here's how I made mine.

1)  Buy a small wooden cross-stitch hoop from the craft store.

2)  Cut three strips of leftover ribbon from the DIY Bow Frame, about 12in each, and hot glued the pieces symmetrically to the hoop

3)  Cut three strips of leftover lace from the crib skirt, about 12in each, and tied the pieces symmetrically to the hoop

4)  On a piece of cardstock, I sketched a basic bird template, then cut out the template.  You could find a free template online and print it.

6)  On the back of a piece of scrapbook paper, I traced my bird three times, then folded that piece of paper in half before cutting the birds out.  What I ended up with was six birds that could be glued together as three birds. 

7) Cut out wings for the birds and glue them to the birds.

8) Using fishing line or clear string, hang the birds from the hoop.

9) Take three pieces of fishing line or clear string, the length that you want hanging from the ceiling, and tie those pieces together on one end.  That end will hang from the ceiling.  The three loose ends will be tied symmetrically to the hoop.
The hardest part was figuring out where to hang these projects in the room.  I ended up choosing a place near the crib and rocking chair.  It was one of the few places that worked to maintain a visual balance in room, but it also ended up being functional to hang them in a place where the baby can spot them from the crib or rocking chair.
And there you have it, two easy projects that can be completed with out much time, money or effort.

1 comment:

  1. It was great information and very useful
    For sofa repair work contact thesofastore gives
    Sofa Refurbishing in Yelachenahalli

    ReplyDelete