In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Upcycled Ruffle Lampshade

 
Good Morning!  I'm starting my day by sharing an easy lampshade makeover! 
 
Lampshades can be pricy, easily costing $10-30 for one lampshade.  For me personally, I have a hard time justifying the high-end of those prices when:
 
1) I can find lampshades at Goodwill or garage sales for $5 or less.
 
2) I think lampshades are one of the easiest things to give a new look to by simply recovering with fabric or paper.
 
And so that's exactly what I did for the floor lamp in Charlotte's room.
Using leftover fabric from the curtains I made for her room, I covered a drum-shade that was being unused in my collection of "things I might want reuse someday pile" in the basement.

Yep, I'm one of "those" people.

Certainly not a hoarder by any means, but I keep things stored in a place downstairs if I think I can repurpose it in the future.

The lampshade actually came with a lamp that I purchased from a garage sale.  I ended up using the lamp and not the shade.
The fabric could not have been more perfect for this project!  I found it at Hobby Lobby in the seasonal collection for spring.  It comes just like you see it, hanging beautifully with pink ruffles.

All I had to do was cut the fabric to fit the lamp, and then hot glue the fabric to the top of the shade.

My only complaint is that because the fabric is semi-sheer and my shade had a pattern on it, when the lamp is turned on I can see the silhouette of the pattern.  A solid color shade, preferable white, would have been better for this project.  If I come across one for a few bucks, I'll replace the drum under the fabric.
As for that beautiful lamp base, I found that at Goodwill for $5 a couple years ago.  I was using it in this room when it was a guestroom.  All I did was give it a new look before using it in the nursery.
 
With a little repurposing and recycling from things I already had in my home, the floor lamp in the nursery is both functional and beautiful, and it didn't end up costing me anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment