In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Little Bit of Pumpkin Spice



A tall non-fat, with whip, pumpkin spice latte is my Starbucks drink of choice this time of year.  However, I've recently tried to cut sugar out of my diet.   I've only allowed myself to have one of these oh-so-delicious drinks this year, because there isn't a sugar-free version of this yummy fall treat.  Even if there was a sugar-free version of the pumpkin spice latte, I choose not to indulge in Starbucks on a daily basis for sake of my wallet and my waistline.  In search of a simpler way to get a little pumpkin spice in my morning coffee cup, I've discovered a few ways to add a taste of fall to each day.

My typical morning coffee includes one light roast breakfast blend Keurig cup, a few drops of fat-free half and half and one teaspoon of stevia.

But here's where the pumpkin spice comes in.   During the fall season, I add a couple teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to give me a nice warm pumpkin-spice-like flavor.
When I discovered pumpkin spice Keurig cups for my Keurig coffee maker, I was even more excited.  This is a light roast that leaves a warm pumpkin flavor at the back of the pallet.  However, I still add the pumpkin pie spice for additional fall flavor.
 
My homemade morning coffee may not be as tasty as the fall treat that a barista makes at the coffee house, but my coffee is a lot less than $4 a cup.  Not to mention it's fat-free and sugar-free.  Now I'm not saying that my pumpkin spice coffee taste just like a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, but it definitely has the pumpkin spice flavor that I'm looking for in my morning cup of joe. 
If you're not trying to avoid sugar, International Delight has a pumpkin pie spice coffee creamer.  I personally don't care for this product.  I think it has a distinct aftertaste that completely takes away from the taste of coffee.  But several people that I know like this product, so I thought I'd put it in this post.  I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself.

There are also all sorts of recipes on the internet for pumpkin spice lattes, but most of them require an espresso machine.

As for me, well I'll just stick to my pumpkin spice coffee with a little bit of half and half, stevia and pumpkin pie spice.  Yep, that's my morning coffee this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment