In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Monday, July 21, 2014

DIY "book" Shelves


I've spent the past month catching up on blog posts that I never got around to writing when I was pregnant.  The past two weeks, I posted all of our nursery projects that we completed in our home last fall.  This week, I want to post a few projects that I completed in our guest room last summer.   They just never made it to the blog once pregnancy and babies took over my life.

In the past, I have posted a few projects for our guestroom.  The following received quite a bit of blog and pinterest traffic:  Painting Horizontal Stripes, DIY Beaded Lamp Shades, Toilet Paper Tubes turned into Art and More Toilet Paper Tubed Art.  Like I had mentioned in those posts, when decorating the guestroom I wanted to keep the cost to a minimum, because I didn't know how long it would before the guestroom was turned into a second kid’s room.  Between the borrowed bed from my sister-in-law, the bedding that we used in our room when we were first married, and numerous inexpensive and creative projects, I have been able to have a guestroom that is inviting and well, I’ll just say it…CHEAP.


Today, I want to share a project that I think I originally saw on HGTV.   I just took my own spin on it to make it work for me.  DIY “BOOK” Shelves is today’s blog project.  Yes, these are literally book shelves, as in books are what the shelves are made of. This project cost me $15 to complete.


To start, I went to the Dollar Tree and picked three hard-cover books.  You can use books that you already have, but I was using these books for decoration not leisurely reading.



Next, I took three pieces of scrapbook paper that coordinated with the colors of the room, cut them down to size and made book covers.



Then, I measured and screwed six shelving brackets from Ikea ($1.99 each) into the wall.



Lastly, I placed the books on the brackets and had myself a great place to display three candle holders that someone had given me as a birthday gift.  And that's it!  That's how to make shelves from books!

1 comment:

  1. Such a simple but genius idea! I have seen special hardware for these kind of shelves, and they wanted $15. A PIECE. Thank you for sharing.
    (I am SUPER excited to have come across your blog, I am finding TONS of great idea and blowing up your comments. LOL)

    ReplyDelete