In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Real Life Love Story Part 6 - Two Weddings Are Better Than One

    

You can read previous posts abot my love story at the following links :  Introduction ;  Part 1 – How We Met ;   Part 2 – Getting To Know One Another ;   Part 3 - Engaged ; Part 4 - Planning the wedding. ; Part 5 - Saying I Do



         June 26, 2009, had finally arrived.  The plans that quickly fell into place months ago were about to happen.  There was just one thing we weren't planning on....yes, one thing that wasn't in the sacred wedding notebook.  If you've been following this story, you probably know what that one thing is.  Yes, we certainly didn't think that when June 26th rolled around, we would have already been experiencing newly wed bliss for the past three months.  Yep, we were already married, and if you read part five of this story, you might have a little more insight to why we made the decision to have two weddings.
         People often ask me if I regret having two weddings, to which my response is always no.  Being able to experience two weddings to the same man in such a short amount of time was really the best of both worlds ~ one was a spontaneously beautiful ceremony with just the two of us, and the other was an elegantly planned celebration with those who are closest to us.  What more could a girl ask for? 
        The privacy of the first wedding made it easy for us to show our love as we committed ourselves to one another and began the journey of marriage.  We were able to experience a truly intimate moment without the stress that often comes with a big wedding.  In that moment, my mind was completely focused on the man standing before me.  I wasn’t nervous, because there was nothing to nervous about.  There was no one watching my every move…..I didn’t have to worry about tripping down the aisle…..I didn’t spend the whole day getting beautified, so I didn’t have to worry about how much hairspray was in my hair or if my mascara was running down my eyes.  Do you get the point ~ it was a relaxing and enjoyable way to start the rest of our lives together. 
        While the first wedding was beautiful in its own way, the second wedding was equally beautiful as we renewed our vows and celebrated with family and close friends the love we shared for one another.  I don’t know of any bride that was more relaxed than I was just before they walked down the isle.  That’s partially because when I arrived at the garden, everything was done for me, but the real reason why I was so relaxed was because I was already married to the handsome man smiling back at me at the end of the aisle! 
         The best part about having two weddings was that I was still able to enjoy all of things that a little girls dreams of when they begin planning their wedding at the age of five!  I still had the dress and the veil, and I still walked down the aisle to the wedding march with a bouquet in my hand just like I pretended to do when I was a young girl dressing up in lacy white curtains and my mom’s high heals.
        I consider myself lucky to have the wedding experiences that I had. Although, we didn’t originally plan on having two weddings, looking back on it, I wouldn’t have it any other way.  While I will admit that it is untraditional and slightly unusual, in my opinion, two weddings is definitely better than one!






Here are some of my favorite pictures from
Wedding Number 2. 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment