In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Vow ~ Book and Movie Review




          Due to today being Valentine’s day, I thought that I would write a post about the popular book and movie, The Vow.   After reading the book last week, I went to see the movie this past weekend.  So without further ado, here’s my opinion of both the book and the movie……

The Vow: The True Story Behind the Movie [Book]
Source


         The Vow, written by Kim and Krickett Carpenter, tells an emotional story of a husband’s unconditional love for his wife and the faithfulness of a God who loves them both.   I couldn’t put this book down when I started reading it, and if it wasn't for the dread of early morning's alarm clock, I would have read it in one sitting.  Unlike the movie, the book spends a lot of time discussing the importance of the couple’s faith as they journeyed through the mountains and valleys of their tragic ordeal.    In this book, Kim Carpentar writes a vivid story of how he met and married the love of his life, consciously endured a car accident with her,  and then in the midst of overwhelming obstacles, fought to keep his marriage alive and rekindle the love that his wife had lost all memory of.  Few books bring tears to my eyes, but the obvious love that Kim had for his wife in the midst of despair was enough reason for me to keep a box of tissues near by as I turned the pages of this book.  I highly recommend reading this book.  It was ten times better than the movie!

Source
              Now that I’ve discussed the book, I’ll move on to giving my opinion of the movie.  I’m not gonna lie….I was really disappointed with the movie.  After LOVING the book so much, I begged my husband to take me to see the movie opening weekend, but when the movie was over, I left the theatre feeling a little deflated.  Perhaps if I watched the movie before reading the book, I would feel differently.  I knew the book was just the inspiration for the movie, and while I didn’t expect the movie to be just like the book, I did expect it to be sort of like the book.  I had even prepared myself for the realization that the couple’s faith, which had so much to do with the book, would be completely eliminated from the movie.  I just wasn’t prepared for the fact that the story of the couple in the movie wasn’t going to be ANYTHING like the Carpenter’s story.  The only thing the book had in common with the movie was that a car accident left a wife without any memory of her husband.  That’s it!  The vague plot was the only thing the book and movie had in common, and I have to tell ya that I thought the actual real-life story was a thousand times better than Hollywood’s version of a watered down story about love and faithfulness!  While I love Rachel McAdams, not even she could make me want to watch this movie twice.  Next time I want to refresh my memory of The Vow, I’ll bypass the movie and just read the book again.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know! I was super excited about the movie as well, and made my hubby see it with me last weekend as was disappointed with how it turned out. I didn't even know there was a book though - so I'll have to read that! The book sounds great!!

    Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the book excludes some of the true emotion between Kim and Krickett, the movie falsifies and fabricates much of the story. After reading the book, the movie seems unbelievable — the opposite of what you’d want after watching a movie based on a true story.

    ReplyDelete