In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Better than Takeout Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Peppers and Pineapple


In my last post, I shared the recipe for the blackberry lime cheesecake tart I made for Father's Day.  Today, I want to share what we had for Father's Day Dinner.

Seeing as how Father's Day is a day to celebrate the father of my children, it was only fitting to make his favorite meal.  A meal that we have dubbed, better than takeout sweet and sour chicken.

I found this recipe a few years ago when looking for a good recipe for an Asian dinner to make for my husband's birthday.  My husband has been in love with this recipe ever since. He loves any kind of Asian cuisine, but this is probably his favorite homemade Asian dish that I make.  I think the peppers and pineapple are what make this dish so yummy!

My husband would be thrilled to eat this meal on a regular basis.  However, I only make it every so often, because it is a bit time consuming to cube the chicken and fry it before baking.  It comes together easily and is definitely not a difficult dish.  It just requires a bit more prep work than I like to put into a quick weeknight supper.  The taste is worth the time though, as it really is better than take out!  A family favorite in our house for sure!


INGREDIENTS:
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast (cubed into one inch pieces)
one green pepper (chopped)
one red pepper (chopped)
20 oz. can of pineapple chunks (drained)
salt and pepper to taste
1 - 1.5 c. cornstarch
3 eggs (beaten)
1/4 c. canola oil

Sauce:
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. garlic salt
4 tbs. ketchup
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 tbs. low sodium soy sauce
1 tbs. cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  On a stove top, warm canola oil in a pan on medium heat. Place eggs and corn starch in two separate bowls. Dredge chicken in cornstarch, then in the egg.  Fry chicken in canola oil just long enough to brown the chicken.  Place chicken on paper towels to soak up excess grease, then put chicken in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.  In a separate bowl, whisk all of the ingredients for the sauce, then stir in the peppers and drained pineapple.  Pour mixture over the chicken and bake for one hour.  Serve over a bed of rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment