In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mom's Zucchini Bread



Last night, I made my first loaf of zucchini bread of the season.  With an abundance of zucchini in the garden, I'm sure there will be plenty more loaves to come in the upcoming weeks. Some will be eaten fresh from the oven.  Others will be gifted or put in the freezer for a later time.  


This zucchini bread recipe is the recipe my mother used.  It's the recipe I grew up on.  I loved zucchini bread as a kid.  I remember having it often during late summer and early fall, and nibbling on it anytime of day.  My favorite way to eat it as a child was warm, with a little butter spread on top.  I still like it that way, but these days I find it best enjoyed with a cup of coffee.


I've shared this recipe on the blog before, but it has been awhile.  This particular recipe is more dense than other zucchini breads I've tried.  It's definitely moist from the zucchini, but the texture is not not light and airy, rather it is dense and filling.  

One batch can make one large loaf, or it could be split into two small pans to make two loaves, making it convenient for gifting. 



INGREDIENTS:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. cinnamon
2 c. zucchini, peeled and shredded (or about one medium zucchini)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tbs. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, oil and sugar.  Add brown sugar and vanilla.  Mix in shredded zucchini.  Slowly add dry mixture until well combined.  Pour batter in a greased bread pan and bake for one hour or until bread pokes clean in the middle.


No comments:

Post a Comment