In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy First Birthday Babies!


Happy First Birthday Babies!  Ok, so technically you are thirteen months old today, and your first birthday was exactly one month ago.  I sat down that night to write this letter to you, but couldn’t get all of my thoughts together to put in a post. Maybe I was just tired that night after such a big day.  I don’t know.  For whatever reason, I have not sat down to finish this post until now.
It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since we brought you home from the hospital.  I look at the above picture and am reminded that even though the past year has been completely exhausting, that moment....that moment right there in that picture....the moment I held you for the first time and became a mother....that was one of the best moments of my life! 
Looking back on your first year, it went by really fast even though some days seemed like they would never end.  I remember thinking in the very beginning, when the days and nights all seemed to run together, that being a full time mom of twins was the most exhausting job I've ever had.  Truthfully, it is the most exhausting job I've ever had.....BUT it is also the most rewarding job I've ever had!
I have had no greater joy than being your Mommy! There is nothing quite like motherhood.  Sure, I've been exhausted, frustrated and fatigued more often than I would like.  Being a first time mom to twins is a lot of work!  Twice as many diapers, twice as many feedings, twice as many teething babies, twice as many night wakings....BUT there is also twice as much love!  Now that I've had you in my life for a year, I can't imagine life without the both of you! Dare I say it, but the thought of only have one baby to take care of seems a little boring to me now! 
There is something truly special about the relationship with twins, and it has been pure joy to witness first-hand over the past year.  I witnessed it in those first few days after birth when the two of you would reach out for one another and hold hands.  I saw it in the first few months when you were most content snuggled up with each other as you slept.  There were so many afternoons where the only way I could calm you and get both of you to sleep at the same time was to hold both of you in my arms for hours. When you got bigger, I saw your special relationship as you began to play and communicate.  You would jibber-jabber and giggle among yourselves, and although I couldn't understand you, I'm convinced that you could understand each other.  And now as you are mobile and into everything, you fill our home with laughter every day as you play and chase one another. 
Right now you are the best of friends.  I hope it stays that way forever.  I hope that when you are grown, and you each have your own interest and your own lives, that you will somehow still be best buds. I hope you will always have this special bond that I'm currently able to witness on a daily basis.  
And so my little babies....or should I say my little toddlers, I finish this post the same way it started....Happy Birthday Babies!  You've been my greatest joy this year!  I'm looking forward to many more years with you.  Know that no matter how big you get....even when you get taller than me...and stronger than me....and don't want to be seen with me because it's not cool....I will ALWAYS love you the same way I did the moment the doctors first put you in my arms. To me, you will always be my babies. 

1 comment: