In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Cucumber Crab Salad with Tomato



Years ago, I made my own version of a crab salad, using imitation crab, mayo, cucumbers, tomato and some S&P.  No exact measurements when I whipped it up, just a rough salad for summer time. 

Basically, it's just a cheap no lettuce salad, similar to tuna salad, chicken salad or egg salad.  Like the other salads, it could be served by itself or used with crackers, wraps or sandwiches, although I don't know that this would be good with just any kind of bread.  

Recently I found a similar salad here, that actually had measurements and used garlic and green onions.  The beautiful pictures from the recipe enticed me to make this dish.  Turns out it was pretty good.  If you like basic crab salads that use imitation crab, give this one a try!  The garlic and green onion really bring it up a notch! I even went a step further and added celery seed!

My recipe makes half of what the original recipe makes, since I make this for just me and my husband.  If looking to feed more people, just multiply the recipe to meet your needs.  

Also plain Greek yogurt with lemon, salt/pepper and/or a few fresh herbs could be a substitute for mayonnaise.  Just thought I'd throw that idea out there for those that try to avoid mayonnaise all the time.  Although I have not tried this substitution and cannot testify to the taste, Greek yogurt is commonly used as a mayo substitute. 

INGREDIENTS:
1  8 oz. package of imitation crab, roughly chopped
1 small to medium cucumber, peeled (optional) and chopped into small pieces
1 tomato, diced
2 green onions finely chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. celery seed
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. mayonnaise, more or less to taste

DIRECTIONS: 
Mix all ingredients until well combined

No comments:

Post a Comment