In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Friday, August 7, 2015

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Fritters



It's that time of year.  Summer squash is in abundance and what greater way to use some up than by making easy and yummy zucchini and yellow squash fritters.  Of course Matt and I loved these, but I also loved that my twin toddlers love to eat these!  What a simple and healthy toddler food that my boys can pick up with their hand without any problems.  Everyone has their own way to make this simple side, but here's how i make mine.




INGREDIENTS:
1 medium zucchini, peeled and grated
1 medium yellow squash, peeled and grated
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 c. seasoned Italian bread crumbs.
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
black pepper to taste
1 egg.
2-3 tbs. olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat.  Mix remaining ingredients together.   I think my hands work best as the best "mixing tool" for this dish. Onions are optional.  My husband prefers onions, but I don't always have them in the house.  Green onions would work for this too.   Once ingredients are combined make small "patties" with the mixture. I can usually get about six fritters out of this mixture.  If mixture is too wet, add more bread crumbs.  Fry patties in oil until browned, flipping half way for even cooking. Set on paper towels when they come out of the pan to soak up additional oil.  Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and some parsley for garnish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment