In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken



I love a good roasted chicken.  I don't roast chicken often, but when I do it's usually for Sunday supper.  Lemon and herb is my go-to combination when I'm roasting a chicken. We actually had this dish for Easter dinner this year, and it was perfect!  The lemon and herb combination made for a bright and beautiful spring meal.  The nice thing about roasted chicken is that it's "fancy" enough for a holiday, but "common" enough for a family supper. 


So let's talk chicken!  Whole chickens are one of those things that I only buy if they are on sale.  But in all honestly, the better quality chicken you buy the better it will turn out.  I've had roasted chicken turn out good and I've had it turn out not-so-good, and the only difference was the quality/price of my chicken, not the method that I used to roast it. There are few things that I really notice a difference on when it comes to price, but in my experience, whole chickens is one of them!  I stopped buying the least expensive brand whole chickens at the market.  Now I just wait for the good ones to go on sale.  


INGREDIENTS:
Whole Chicken
Olive oil
2 Lemons
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Rosemary
Salt and Pepper
4 tbs. melted butter
1 tbs. minced garlic or 2-3 cloves

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Remove insides of the chicken.  Rinse entire chicken inside and out. Place the chicken in a roasting pan, lined with aluminium foil and drizzled with olive oil. Salt and pepper chicken.  Rub butter and garlic mixture all over chicken.  I always like to put some under the skin as well.  If you want more butter and garlic, go for it!  In my attempt to keep this somewhat lean, I draw the line at 4 tbs. Slice two lemons.  I like to place a few slices inside the chicken and the rest arranged on top of the chicken.  Chop fresh rosemary and garlic and sprinkle it all over the chicken.  I don't usually measure, but if I had to guess it's probably a tbs. of each herb.  I also place a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme inside the chicken for additional flavor.  Roast chicken for 40-60 minutes, depending on size of chicken, or until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.  If it looks like the chicken is getting too dark while roasting, cover with aluminum foil. Let set for fifteen minutes to let the meat rest before slicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment