In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Monday, August 3, 2015

Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles (aka Quick Pickles or Quickles)



With and abundance of cucumbers in the garden, I decided to give refrigerator pickles a try last weekend.  Also called quick pickles or quickles, refrigerator pickles come in handy if you want to make homemade pickles but don't want to can pickles.  Unlike canned pickles that have a long shelf life, quick pickles only last a few weeks in the fridge, so it is best to just a make a batch at a time.  

I was very pleased with the results of my refrigerator pickles.  I made four jars of pickles, using a combination of both sweet and dill pickles and spears and sliced pickles.  Here is the recipe I found for bread and butter quick pickles.  I based my recipe off this, but made a few adaptions.  Below is what I came up with that worked for me.

INGREDIENTS:
Cucumbers (enough to fill two quart jars, I did one jar of sliced pickling cucumbers and one jar of cucumber spears)
1 tbs. Kosher Salt
1 c. of a thinly sliced sweet onion (I used half of an onion)
1 c. water
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. celery seed

DIRECTIONS:
Slice pickles as desired, sprinkle with salt and place into jars. Add onion to jars and set aside.  In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer until all sugars are dissolved.  Using a funnel, pour hot liquid over cucumbers.  Put lids on jars and set in fridge for at least four days to let the flavor set in.  

* I've been told refrigerator pickles last a few weeks in the fridge, although I can't confirm this as ours were eaten up within a week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment